6.10.11

Alcalá de Henares, Spain II

These are delicious almonds that are sold at the monastery across from the University of Alcala. It was actually really unusual because you just talk to a piece of wood and say what you want (but they aren't named so you just say the amount you want to pay) and then the wood turns and then they appear. You don't even see a person! It was spooky/magical. And the box matched my sweater! I did not even plan that. But it was blog-worthy.

I am so happy.




Best Ice Cream in Alcala. (That's what Luisa told us.)



Serious about siesta.
So this is a fun little story. My friend Brittan and I went to Madrid to study and do a little shopping. Mainly shopping it turned out. Brittan is the best & worst to go shopping with because she has great style and she's really good at talking me into buying things and telling me my life will be better if I make the purchase (which usually turns out to be true so far). So we were having a great time. We bought some caramel milkshakes and sat in a giant plaza and ate them, relaxes, watched interesting people. I love watching people, especially here because in Utah people normally look at you weird but here everyone stares. Brittan and I both made some great purchases. Then we went and bought some dulche de leche ice cream which was amazing and ate it in the Sol Plaza where there was a live Spanish music. We couldn't believe it was real life. Then we realized it was getting late and we had about an hour on the metro and train to get back to Alcala. So we hopped on the train, casually talking between ourselves. This crazy-looking man was pacing up and down the train which was a bit unusual. Well, it turns out he was crazy. He came right up to me and started yelling (and spitting) right in my face. I cringed and tried to hide from him but it's hard to play hide and seek on a train. I withdrew to the side towards Brittan who was just laughing hysterically. The crazy kept yelling at us for at least 5 minutes (which feels like an hour if the man has a greasy comb-over and bad breath which is coating the spit which is landing on your face). So I actually really hated the situation so I decided to take control and stand up and move to a place where he couldn't yell right in my face because he was not stopping. So Brittan and I got up, pushed him to the side and walked fast to the other train car where there were other people and the crazy followed us and kept yelling at us. He was using all sorts of funny body language and he was so passionate about what he was saying, I secretly wish I could understand what he did say to us because I believe it was in a different language beside English & Spanish which are the two I'm most familiar with at this point. So he actually continued to yell at us in front of the other people and it was causing quite the scene. So that entire car of people got up and moved to a different car. The next stop was the final stop, and he was getting off. We were a bit scared. I was slightly afraid because the only phrase I understood out of the man's ramblings were "kill americans." I did not let the fear get to me though, because I knew that God would protect me. And what miracle happened right as we walked off the train? The missionaries happened to be at the train station! They walked us home safe and sound. It was a miracle. When we got to my apartment they said they didn't know where they were, but they said they would just have the Spirit guide them home. I said, "Wait, the Spirit is telling me I should tell you how to get back to your apartment at the Plaza of Cervantes." They even laughed at my joke (another miracle because sometimes missionaries forget about jokes). Basically I am grateful for that miracle and all the other miracles every day (like the face that our fridge is miraculously stocked with Manchego cheese everyday...oh wait, that's Luisa.) GIGA!